Gabrielle Bonheur "Coco" Chanel is perhaps the most sought-after fashion designer of all time. Forty years after her death, Chanel is still one of the world's most popular luxury brands, boasting legions of devoted fans worldwide. With Karl Lagerfeld's direction, the legacy continues to grow.
SIX FACTS ABOUT CHANEL:
1. When Coco was 12, her mother passed away from tuberculosis and her father abandoned the family. She spent the next six years in an orphanage.
2. She became a licensed hat-maker and owned her first shop in 1910.
3.She invented the "Little Black Dress" in 1926, which French Vogue dubbed "Chanel's Ford", for its practicality and marketability.
4. She is credited with popularizing the concept of "costume jewelry" in the 1920s, creating seasonal jewelry that mixed fake pearls with real stones.
5. In February of 1955, Chanel launched the iconic 2.55 quilted bag, naming the style after the date of it's creation. It is made of leather with a gold chain strap - allowing a woman's hands to remain free.
6. The original 2.55 bags were lined in a burgundy hue that referenced the color of the Catholic school uniforms Coco wore.
We're huge fans of Chanel, and have some amazing Chanel pieces both in-store and online! Check out some of our favourites below;
Our full selection of Chanel can be found here!
Happy shopping xx